Topic for May 5, 2015 is my top 10 books I will probably never read
Some of these may surprise people. There are some pretty popular books here and hopefully I can fully explain my reasons.
- Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James ~ I have this weird block that makes me shun books that have caused mass hysteria. It took A LOT of pushing from family for me to pick up The Hunger Games too.
- Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer ~ It’s too late for me. Besides the same reason as above about people’s obsession with these books, I’ve also already seen the movie. That was a big no-no. Now I feel like the books are ruined, and there probably isn’t much sense in taking the time to read them.
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling ~ *ducks* I know, everyone has read this. It is like required reading. I, however have never read them, and though I’ve been tempted, I’m also not in a place where I am open to young adult or middle grade books. With my TBR, I don’t know if I will get to them.
- The Bible ~ I do believe in God. I consider myself a Christian. Probably in a pretty loose sense. I have reads parts of the bible, and have tried reading from the start. I just can’t do it. With the exception of the parts I have read from Sunday School and church, I’ve probably never finished Genesis.
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen ~ I feel like this was supposed to be required reading too. I probably will never read any of Jane Austen’s books. Why? I just feel like they would be really historical, and I’m just not a fan of historical stuff.
- Dracula by Bram Stoker ~ I love vampires. You would think this would be on the top of my TBR. It’s not. I’ve seen a lot of movie spin-offs of this and feel like I’ve pretty much got the gist of the book. I do hate it when references are made in other books and I don’t get it. But I just probably won’t get to this one.
- The Fault In Our Stars by John Green ~ No. It’s going to make me weep like a baby, from all I’ve heard about it. I don’t think I can purposely put myself through that.
- The Princess Of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs ~ I tried this one because of a recommendation from a friend, and I really wanted to see the movie adaptation. I couldn’t do it. I don’t know. Maybe I’m not a fan of aliens? Maybe the world just needed too much description and explaining that I was distracted easily. I just don’t know. I could not finish it and will probably never again try.
- Backstage Pass by Olivia Cunning ~ This was my first officially classified “erotica” book. I feel like when I read some of my other paranormal romance books, that they could border on erotica and some BDSM, but when I tried to read this, there was no story. What I did read was just constant sex. Maybe I didn’t read far enough into the book. I guess I won’t know until I try some others in these genres. The little I did read into it, wasn’t for me, so I probably won’t read this book.
- Shadow Spell by Nora Roberts ~ I did not enjoy Dark Witch (book 1) enough to want to continue the series. That is really weird for me because normally I will give a series at least until book 2 before I axe it. But I just did not connect with this story at all.
Have you read these books? Do you think there are things I should know that may change my mind?