Surfing around YouTube, you’ll see a lot of “Booktubers” doing “Book Tags”. They are fun posts with crazy book related questions. I’m definitely not doing this on YouTube, but I did think I would do some of the tags here on the blog. You never know, could be fun! A lot of tags ask you to tag someone and I’m not going to do that. I’m just hoping that you’ll grab the tag and do one yourself. Then come back and share your link, or even tag me so I’ll see it! Use @ReadingAddicted to tag me.
Today I’m going to do the Reader Problems Book Tag that I found over at The Book Nut. It’s an older tag, but it doesn’t look like I’ve done it before so I’ll give it a try.
1. You have 20,000 books in your TBR, how in the world do you decide what to read next?
That’s a lot of books to narrow down! Since I am a series reader, I would probably look and see what series I am behind in. Then I would look and see what authors I am behind with. Then it would come down to mood. If I want something that is going to make me laugh, have at least one romance thread, or just some kick ass urban fantasy. Hopefully that would narrow it down enough!
2. You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you put it down or are you committed?
After halfway, I’m committed. That book is getting finished. Now if it was like 20% or so, it would probably get put down. But more often than not, I struggle through in the hopes that things will get better. I’ve had books that really don’t take off until after the halfway point.
3. The end of the year is coming and you’re behind on your reading challenge, do you try to catch up? And if so, how?
Depending on how far behind I am, I will try to catch up. You can see me spending New Year’s Eve frantically trying to throw in some novellas to get those books in! Maybe the novellas are cheating, I sometimes feel like they are, but it still counts on Goodreads!
4. The covers of a series you love do not match, how do you cope?
I will do what I can to find all the matching covers to make a set. If they don’t exist, it fills me with anxiety. I also have the problem of getting the books in one cover production signed, then they change them all and I end up with a new cover! I had a really big struggle with the Sookie Stackhouse covers that released after True Blood. That was very frustrating. The little bit of OCD I have drove me nuts. I also have just gotten the newest Lords of the Underworld book in hard cover because Walmart had signed copies. I’m beside myself because all my other LotU books are MMP. I don’t know how to arrange them on my shelves! This is a big problem and I do not cope well.
5. Everyone and their mother loves a book that you do not. Who do you bond with over your shared feelings?
I normally talk to my friend Annie about the books I read. She is very good at either pointing out the good I missed and helping me see what it was other people liked, or she is great at picking apart the book in private with me.
6. You’re reading a book in public and you’re about to start crying. How do you deal?
I really do not read in public unless you consider listening in my car public. In which case I bawl my eyes out to my heart’s content. If people in other cars see me crying they can use their own imaginations as to why I might be sobbing. If I’m at home, and someone sees me, I snap at them to mind their own business and if they want to know they need to read the damn book! 🙂
7. The sequel to a book you loved just came out but you’ve forgotten a lot of what happens. Are you going to reread it?
Not likely. I used to before my TBR got so big and full of books I’m dying to get to. Now I just pray there is enough info in the new sequel to jog my memory. That is getting hard as a lot of my series are getting books up in the 20’s and I think I would probably lose if there were trivia games designed on those series!
8. You do not want anyone to borrow your books, how do you politely say no when someone asks?
I get SO uncomfortable when someone asks. I usually suggest that maybe I can send them the ebook from my Amazon account, since it will be easier…. LOL
9. You have picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over this reading slump?
I usually find something from one of my go-to authors that I know will pull me in and get me back into my reading groove. If that doesn’t work, I just give reading a break for a little while and do something else. Even if it is just doing nothing. When I get bored enough, I’ll come running back.
10. There are so many books coming out that you are dying to read, how many do you end up buying?
All of them.
11. After you purchase all of these books that you’re dying to read how long do they sit on your shelves before you get to them?
Haha, I’ve had books I’ve bought that have sat on my kindle for over a year before I’ve finally gotten to them. Actually there is one I can think of that has been on there even longer!
So those are the answers to my reader problems. What would your answers be? I’m especially interested in everyone’s tricks to getting out of a reading slump! Feel free to do your own post and leave a link in the comments or tag me on Twitter so I can read your answers. Or even answer in the comments!